Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Archery Deer Season 2006 – Tree Stand Time!

Well now that we have our arrow situation all settled and under control as noted in my earlier post on this blog, there were a few other things that needed to be attended to. Last year, about half way through the season, I lost my steel ladder stand to the resident thieves. I prefer a ladder stand for safety reasons, but being late in the season I bought a very inexpensive lock-on type stand with a 15 foot climbing stick for the remainder of the 2005 archery deer season.

With the new season upon us, I decided to purchase a new ladder stand for this season and hopefully some respect will be shown for a fellow hunters property this season and it will be left alone. I had hunted with the previous ladder stand for more than 5 years before it was stolen this past season, so I hope I can get at least another 5 years out of this one. I bought the Big Dog 15 foot ladder stand on sale at Dunham’s Sporting Goods on sale for $49.95. I couldn’t pass up that deal.

I don’t spend the long dollar on tree stands because of the fact of being restricted to hunting state lands and having lost two stands over the years now, I can’t see lining someone else’s pocket with a $200 plus tree stand as much as I would love to purchase one. In fact, because I spend so little on these, it amazes me that people still steal them. It’s not like they are gaining much from it, but that’s just human nature I guess. Their fathers forgot to teach them to respect there fellow hunters I guess. Anyway, can’t wait till the weekend to get the stands out into the woods and into the trees. We have to wait till one month before the season opens to put them up on state lands here in Michigan and that is September 1st for us. Let’s go hunting!


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: