Sunday, March 28, 2010

25K Training - Week 10 - Overcoming Mental Blocks

This weeks training brought me to a level of training I had never experienced before this and that was making a run nealy as long as the 25K run that I'm training for in 5 weeks from now. My body has surprised me with it's ability to work at these levels considering I smoked for almost 30 years (quit 7 years ago) and was almost 100 lbs. heavier only 2 years ago.

Our bodies are magnificent things and there is no question in my mind that God knew what he was doing when he created us. I'll never be an olympian or likely competitive for my age group in running but I hope that I can do this for many years to come and continue to get stronger as I do. I would never have entertained a marathon or a 25K even 20 years ago, but heck, who knows? I've quickly learned that nothing is really beyond my reach if I'm willing to try and to work for it. The days of making excuses that I'm too tired or too old just won't work anymore.


This week brought me two new toys, a Fuel Belt water carrier and a Garmin Forerunner GPS enabled 305 trainer. Both really cool and helpful items which I talk about in more detail on my latest blog post at my One Pound Ago blog which you can get to via the link here.

No matter where you are in your fitness levels, don't sell yourself short in thinking that you can't do this too. I'm becoming a firm believer in that it's never too late to start regardless of fitness or current weight status. Just look at the the Biggest Loser program. If they can, so can we! Get out there today and start!

No comments: