Sunday, April 15, 2007

The "unknown or little known" 50,000 file limit of many hosting providers

I just ran into a snag that I hadn't planned on with my current service provider. Unbeknownst to me, they have a 50K file limit on my account that I can't seem to circumvent without going to a virtual dedicated server setup which would get me 200K files but at a cost of about 10 times of what I'm currently paying.

After doing some research with some other of the most popular hosting providers, I found that this is true with a number of providers. Now the next question is probably "how do you get to a point of 50K files", but I did. One part of that is an issue with Front Page and the little nuisance _vti files they generate for each file, which in essence is doubling my file count in some instances.

The really interesting part of this whole scenario is that I have 20 Gig of file space of which I am using only about 1% of as the type of sites I am currently building are very small in file size, and I also have 200 Gig of bandwidth of which I'm currently only using about 5% of. So in essence I have oodles of space and bandwidth, not enough file count space.

The point of all of this, is that if you are using file intensive web sites, you need to be aware of the limitations of your current hosting plan ahead of time as before you know it, your out of file number space! I'm now looking at a reseller account to solve my problem.

Technorati Tags: , ,


No comments: