Saturday, March 10, 2007

Rant on "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" aired on Discovery March 4th

I have not usually used my blog for rants, but this particular one really bugged me. I wrote a letter to Discovery about this show and it's airing on TV. I have always had a lot of respect for the Discovery Channel and it's programs. Below is the letter I sent to the director of the Discovery Channel.

"I have been a watcher, an avid watcher of Discovery for years and I immensely enjoy most of what you air. I do however take offense to the track that this show has taken.

I think of Discovery as my "science" channel, and not the "gotta make a buck through sensationalism" channel which this program and some recent others have become.

As I Christian, I find the premise ludicrous and it will be full of baseless facts that will at best, mislead people. I am a big believer in "science", but science and religion can co-exist nicely. I find it demeaning for the science community, that a show like this is being aired. I guess I will have to reconsider how much Discovery channel programming I will watch in the future.

I'm guessing we could find 10 archaeologists that would give different opinions to these claims, and I think Discovery should have maintained at least a neutrality standpoint to the subject you are presenting????? And no, a disclaimer stating that this is not the view of the station won't wash either. You've taken your stand so you better hope your eternity doesn't depend on it."

I honestly believe that science is very important and the facts are great for all of us to know. This show was so full of baseless guesses by the Archaeologists, that it was shameful to air on TV. Archeology itself is nothing more than "educated guesses" because we have no other way to learn about our history, but to start presenting it as "fact" is troubling.

All right enough of my rant and back to the business at hand and that is making some money.



Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: