Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Opening the pond for the spring...

Another of my favorite hobbies is water gardening. This past weekend I had to "slide" down (literally) on in to the pond so I could split and feed the water lilies. They are all growing out of their pots and if you want to have large and frequent blooms on your lilies, you need to feed them and keep them from getting totally root bound. If I've learned anything over the last seven years of this hobby, is never buy more plants than you need to get started because if you can keep them alive over the winter you will never run out. The two lilies I started with have now been split into 8 pots and if I do it again, I'll be throwing some away! Same thing goes for water hyacinths and water lettuce. Never buy more than a couple plants in the spring because believe me, once they get going you will be throwing them out by the wheel barrows full! I swear they sprout up over night. In the spring when the water is cool it will take a bit to get going but once they do, look out. They make great "veggie filters" too. The long roots they sprout will provide you fish a place to deposit their eggs and they just naturally filter the water keeping everything pretty and sparkling clean. They also act as sun screen for the fish and keep the algae growth under control too. You can see pictures of my ponds in their full summer growth on my website so check it out.

No comments: