Saturday, May 20, 2006

We found the Morel mother load...


Well not really but we had a great time and I learned in a very "prickly" way where the Morel mushrooms wanted to hide tonight. We looked in the woods by my sons house where we had found about thirty the other night but we found some very nice sized ones tonight and many were 6 inches in size and more. You can see in this picture the base was about the size of a 50 cent piece. We had a blast and ended up finding about 30 in all again, with about 10 of those the very large ones. We found the biggest ones by dead and all but rotted elm trees that were covered all around with wild rose bushes (ouch). They seemd to love that setup for growing large. Another thing I learned about Morel mushroom hunting tonight is that the bigger ones love to harbor many, and I repeat many ants! I think the buggers got into everything when we were cutting and soaking the mushrooms. I'm glad we did it outside! http://wm8c.com/morel_mushrooms.htm for more information.

No comments: