Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Archery Arrows and Broadheads – What type do you prefer and why?

I was watching a show on our local PBS station a couple of weeks ago called Michigan-Out-Of-Doors, and one of their features that week was as broad head test with results. They were using a mechanical bow firing machine that is capable of putting multiple arrows with field tips on them into the same hole over and over again.

They then went on once the machine was dialed in to test various broadheads, both mechanical and stationary and the results I found quite fascinating. I have been an avid user of Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain heads for years. I have over the years of hunting also used Wasp’s & Thunderheads, all of the 4 blade, 100 grain variety. I had stayed with the Muzzy’s over the last five years because I found them to be very durable, fairly repeatable in flight, and I like the high impact head they have.

The test that was done, didn’t test the 4 blade Muzzy’s but did test the 3 blade version and it was under 3 inches off center, but held up well in the tests. I wasn’t surprised by the 3” of center with a 3 blade version of this head, because I have found that to be true with my own testing at 25 yards which is my favorite comfortable shooting range. I was less than 2” off center with my 4 blade broadheads, and found that they flew with less wobble from my setup, which has been a 60 lb. draw weight Darton compound bow with a 65% let off, 100 grain 4 blade muzzy broadheads, and Bemen carbon arrows.

I have been wanting to try the newer mechanical broadheads and this year along with purchasing new Easton carbon arrows, I decided to try the new Rocky Mountain Snyper’s 100 grain, cam action broadheads. The broadheads were ordered online and I will be testing them our soon. I am aware of the failure possibility with mechanical heads so this will be a new test for me. The reports I have read show them to be reliable and the accuracy better than with fixed broadheads.

I’d love to hear some opinions on broadhead and arrow choices for the average archery bow hunter. If you are interested in the test results for the heads in the show you can see them here at this URL -
http://www.mucc.org/BroadheadTest.htm

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: