Friday, August 18, 2006

High Cholesterol and Me. A Lifelong Fight.

Had my quarterly blood work done to check my cholesterol levels, liver function, and blood sugars checked. The news was generally good except for this time around my blood sugar levels were slightly elevated which they have never been before that anyone has said anything about.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to find a way to get regular exercise that I can keep up with and enjoy if I ever want to beat the rest of this disease that wants to destroy my arteries. My doctor had switched me from Lipitor 80mg. to Crestor 40mg. about six months ago to try and get my numbers even lower. Well, I guess it was successful because for the first time in the last 8 years since I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, the doctor actually said to that it was almost too low!

He had been shooting for me to get to an HDL and LDL of 60, and I made half of that goal. My total cholesterol was 125, my LDL was 62, and my HDL was too low again at 37 (was at 43 the previous check) but I think that is due to my laziness with regular exercise again. That may also have something to do with my higher blood sugar levels, so I need to continue to watch my diet (I prefer low carb) and get more exercise, much more exercise. My Triglycerides were still respectable at 140.

Onward and upward (or downward in the case of LDL) we go for the next 3 months and we’ll see where we end up then. New goal…walk at least a mile every other day and 3 would be much better!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: