Saturday, September 02, 2006

Fall Archery deer Scouting Walk

Yesterday I took a walk in the woods for two reasons. One to see what the hunters in the area may have been up to with their own scouting trips by looking for tree stands, tracks from other hunters and more. The second reason was to see what the deer have been up to since my last trip to the woods and see what I could find with respect to rubs and other whitetail deer activity in the area where we hunt every year.

I spent about an hour following the usual buck trails that we hunt year after year on the state land we have access to. We will be putting the stands our very soon so that the deer have time to get used them being there. That way by the time the season opens on October 1st, the deer are spooked by the stands being in the woods where they walk and spend their time.

I found a couple of small rubs in and around the usual places but nothing that would get my blood boiling at this time. It is very early in the season yet even for rubs so that doesn't really surprise me at the moment. Many of the larger rubs that we find in our area are down in the swamp and between mosquitoes and mud, I'm in no hurry to go bothering the deer near their bedding areas at the moment if I don't need to. Can't wait till we get the tree stands placed!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: