Friday, September 15, 2006

Obesity, Cholesterol, and Low Carb Diets

I have been fighting with high cholesterol and excessive weight for years. I am one of the very unlucky types of people that have both things working against me, and that's diet and hereditary problems. I have been blessed with both factors, meaning that no matter how well I eat, my body continues to produce high levels of cholesterol and doesn't like to get rid of fat. In my case it's the worst kind of fat too as it's "belly fat"

Since the diet and exercise regimen is the first thing all doctors recommend, I won't spend time talking about that except from the standpoint that you need to try that first. I found for myself, that through tracking my own numbers over many years now, that a diet such as the Atkins diet plan and the South Beach Diets, which are low in carbohydrates worked the best for me, but I also admit that I have difficulty staying away from my favorite pasta's and breads which makes sticking to these diets very difficult, but they will work if you are dilligent. I have the Atkins cook book and this is a must if you stand a chance on the diet. I can't say that for everyone these will work and you
should discuss any diet with your doctor before trying them. If you are interested in trying a low carb diet, make sure you take a supplement also as the diet is very low in vitamin and mineral content by nature.

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

No comments: