Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Adsense picture update from December

About two weeks ago I started an experiment after Google changed their stance on pictures beside the ad blocks. I decided to follow the new guide lines they set out at that time and remove any pictures that might be construed as misleading or confusing at that time and replace them with a very slowly animated colored bar which can be seen on my site at http://www.wm8c.com .

I had planned to do a full update after about a months time but decided to take a hard look at the first 10 days of January and see what effect this had on my Adsense CTR's over that same period. Well I'm happy to report that so far the results have been encouraging, and while I haven't seen an increase in CTR, I have only noticed a 0.5% change in the first 10 days of the experiment. I also have many pages with no graphic at all which will also be used as a comparison as I go.

If you are using Adsense to monitize your sites, then don't be afraid to experiment. While I feel that warnings would be given before they banned anyone for use of pictures, in the manner they now forbid, you probably want to avoid that if possible and make sure you comply from the beginning. I'll be back with an update at the end of the month as well but so far so good.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: