Monday, January 29, 2007

Page rank drops in the search engines

Have noticed that you page ranks are falling and you can't figure out why? I had this happen to me about 3 months ago on my main website at http://www.wm8c.com/ and even though I have been able to regain most of my traffic since then, I am still being penalized by Google at this point both in page rank and in smart pricing for AdSense. I was at a PR5 and am now at PR4 although the prediction tools show getting back to PR5 soon and hopefully up from there. So why do I think that is?

Well the honest answer to that question is that I'm not totally sure at this point. I can how ever tell you about something I did at the time that I think contributed to it. I got greedy and I decided to add a bunch of recycled content for AdSense use on my site. What's wrong with that you ask? Nothing in itself, except that I broke two rules that I should have avoided. First I used PLR content, and second I added about 3000 pages within a few days which sent the robots into an indexing frenzy and later a de-indexing frenzy, which included some from our home business pages so it was a double whammy on sales and earnings.

By the time this all shook out, I had lost some prime pages from the Google index, and fell in earnings to about half of my November levels. It's taken about 3 months to get back near where I was. Two things I will suggest, add content slowly, no more than maybe 10 - 20 pages at a time, and if you are going to use non-original content, try to avoid adding them in a well established site as sub-directories or sub domains. It can only degrade the main domain and ratings. No one totally understands all of this but we can learn from changes we make as I have on this one.

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: