Friday, January 19, 2007

Latest AdSense policy updates and explanation

Many people have heard the latest from Google regarding AdSense and pictures but yesterday, they released the entire new policy update on the AdSense site. The part I was most interested in was this as there are some subtle changes and a better "description" of the picture allowances than the original email they sent out explaining it.

From Google's Site the
new version can be found here but these two lines I think are paramount for those who have used pictures or graphical gimmicks on their sites. This is under the Encouraging clicks section of the page:

May not direct user attention to the ads via arrows or other graphical gimmicks
May not place misleading images alongside individual ads

The two partial sentences that I put in bold are of special interest to many. It has always stated that you could use arrow or pointers but it's now expanded to include "graphical gimmicks". I have seen and used some different graphical gimmicks in the past and low and behold I was warned last week to remove them as well some images that I had aligned with the ad blocks. The new changes how ever do not disallow the use of backgrounds for the blocks if you choose to do so good news for the people doing that.

I would suggest great caution if you continue use pictures of graphics that line up with you ads. If it helps anyone, to be honest when I removed the graphics, I saw less than percent drop in CTR so not much of a hit.

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: