Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Latest cholesterol updates

Yesterday was my quarterly visit to the doctor for two reasons, one was to have my sugar levels checked, and the second is to review my lipid work up. As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I am a borderline diabetic and have fought with cholesterol issues for most of my life but didn't know it, until at age 37, when I had a bypass to my left arm and corotid artery surgery to reduce a 75% blockage in my left side.

I have since been on numerous diets and medications, both natural and phamacological to control my cholesterol levels. After 7 years, I now have all of my levels under control and have quit smoking as of 3 1/2 years ago to boot. My total cholesterol levels now run about 120, with HDL of 43 (still too low but I started at 31) and LDL of 56 (started well over 100).

I can't tell you what the best treatment for your situation will be, but most importantly, you need to know your numbers and make sure you are checked and monitored closely by a doctor you trust. There numerous natural medications available that work for some and there of course the statins that are so popular in the world of medicine today.

Find what works for you and stick with it. Your life literally may depend on it!

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: