Wednesday, December 20, 2006

New experiment has begun with Adsense

I have been involved with Adsense for a couple of years now and I have read tons of materials on how to optimize my ads and sites to make the best use of the contextual advertising system. I'm far from an expert, but I have learned a few things over the last year that might be of use to someone.

Recently, I have just read that Google has now better defined the use of pictures along side of Adsense boxes to draw the attention of the viewer in the hopes that they will find something of interest for them them to click on so you get paid. Now Adsense has never allowed anything that would be construed as asking the visitor to click on your ads and expressly forbidden but they have allowed the use of pictures to as mentioned before.

The problem is that now they have defined in more detail what is allowed and what isn't for use with Adsense. For example...With the new guide lines, if you have a page about
Morel Mushrooms, and you used pictures of mushrooms next to the Adsense blocks, and the ads are about "mushrooms" as they should be, this can now be construed as a violation of the TOS for Adsense.

So, I needed a new way to draw attention to the ad blocks without using something that might be construed as "asking someone to click" so I thought why not use something generic and give it a slight amount of animation. You can see an example of what I am trying here
http://www.wm8c.com/ . It's just a generic bar of 4 colors with a very "slow" animation to it and we'll see if it works as well as the pictures used to. Stay tuned for more in about 2 weeks when I have some data to base it on. To your success!

Technorati Tags:
, ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward for the results ..