Thursday, November 09, 2006

Home improvement projects – budget choices

My lovely wife of 27 years just loves to mess with my head and when it comes to home improvement projects. She knows exactly what things I don’t like and seems to manage to incorporate at least one of those things into every project she does. Now you might think it’s because of spite that she does this, but honestly it’s because she thinks that I don’t have any common sense or good taste about what good home improvement ideas are and you know what? Most of the time she’s right.

She has done some marvelous things in our home to enhance the beauty of it and she does it on a tight budget. I have seen her buy 2 cans of paint, some wall paper border, curtains, and a few supplies for the project she is working on. Then when she’s finished, she always has something left over and it’s usually the paint. She will do this for 2 or 3 rooms and then when she gets to the next one, she pulls out all the paint and will mix and match, or even blend them together into another color, use the scraps from curtains to make her own sconces, and do that room without buying anything. Now that’s “decorating on a budget”.

Now that might make you think, well that just crazy, but she’s actually really good with colors and I’m amazed at some of the things she’s come up with. In one room, she even convinced me that putting textured wallpaper on the ceiling was a good idea instead of the usual stucco applications. We had a huge argument about that one and I did a whole lot of cussing while getting it up there, but when all was said and done, it looked really nice and I never said another word about it. I’ve now learned
over the years, to just shut up and listen to her ideas because in the end, she’s always right.

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: