Monday, November 27, 2006

Photography - are 35mm cameras a lost art?

The other day while at my sons house I cam across a situation that a few years ago would not likely have happened to many people. My son had asked to borrow my 35mm camera with the portrait lens (100mm) to be able to take some nice pictures for use as Christmas cards. Now that is not strange in itself, but I realized when I saw the pictures, that I hadn't explained to him how to use it and he thought he knew how. Well he didn't and unfortunately he ruined a couple of rolls of film and still doesn't have the pictures he needs. I'll be loaning him my Sony F707 digital soon!

My 35mm camera is a Praktica B100 that I purchased back in 1985 when we were living in the Netherlands. It's an East German camera (which now also sounds funny to hear myself say) that I paid about $100 US for at the time which was a pretty good price for a semi-automatic camera in the day. It has and available automatic shutter speed settings with manual settings of the aperture.

This camera is strangely enough still running on the original battery that came with the camera in 1985. Since this camera has seen a lot of action over the years, I find this rather interesting to say the least and obviously this camera is very gentle on batteries. I love this camera and I still think it takes beautiful pictures but this situation reminded me of how we have become part of an automatic, point-and-shoot digital world. Other than the semi and pro photographers, manual settings on cameras are becoming a thing of the past. Guess I need to write an article soon on how to use a 35mm camera!

Technorati Tags:
, ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sure do..im really interesting in becoming a prophotographer, but im learning the basics.im looking on a video or an article that shows me how to use a 35mm camera.,,i just bought mine..