Friday, October 13, 2006

DIY - Do you like to build things "yourself"

I have been building things all of my life. I like to build things with metal or wood. When I was just a youngster, I started building things with "lincoln logs" when I was just 5 or so with a set that I received from my grandmother for a birthday present. I couldn't build enough different styles of homes and buildings with my lincoln logs. This was my first foray with building things with wood.

Later when I was around the age of 9 or 10, I received the neatest thing since sliced bread and that was my erector set. Now this was cool! I could build giant buildings (well acouple of feet tall anyways) or cars, trucks, cranes, you name from "steel". I was now a construction worker! I was only stopped by my imagination. As I entered Jr. High and High School, I took every shop class I could get my hands on and got to play with real power tools!

As I grew older, got married, and had children, I still had a love for building things and playing with power tools. But i found myself short of funds to buy certain things we wanted or needed. This is where the DIY came in. Becasue of all of the things I learned growing up, I could now put them to use to build some of the things we wanted but couldn't afford to buy.

Now that I am older, I can typically buy most of the things we might need if we chose to do so, but it was much more fun to build it and save some money along the way. Don't be afraid of DIY. It's worth the time and effort and can save you a lot of money while doing it. I even put many of my projects on my website now to share with others and earn cash for doing that too. Gotta love it!

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: