Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Gas turbine engines...how do they work?

I have a small fascination about things that I don't understand. That's one of the reasons I originally got into ham radio. I wanted to understand how you could talk to people around the world with radio waves so I became an amateur radio operator. I also got into metal detecting because I wanted to learn how electronics were used to "detect" metal underground. I have even used my detector to find an old electric line I buried years ago and wasn't sure what path I had taken.

Have you ever wondered how a
gas turbine engine works? I have never honestly given it much thought until I came across a site that just happened to have a page explaining the principles behind how a gas turbine engine works, and the site belongs to Rolls-Royce. Guess what? They build more than "cars for royalty" and I never knew that either.

They have an interactive quick guide that explains the process of a gas turbine engine works and I even got to fly through one! Well not exactly, but I did get to watch a video that took me on a "tour" through the engine and how it works. It starts out from the front of the turbine and goes through the entire engine and I promise the fans won't chop you up either. Check it out and you might even learn something new like I just did!

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

No comments: