Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Epson Printers - Love them or hate them?

Inkjet printers have come a very long way in the previous 10 years. I still have an Epson FX80 ribbon printer downstairs that I used for a long time in my radio shack as my main label printer. I finally retired it when one of the 6 or so printers I have owned since then were retired to the radio shack.

We have 3 PC's in our home online at any given time. The main connection to the outside world which is my computer, my wife's laptop for her embroidery business, and my radio shack (no not Radio Shack the store, but my ham radio shack) downstairs. Seems like everytime we bought a new computer they wanted to give us a "free inkjet printer" with the package because they have become so inexpensive now, that they are literally a throw away item.

My first
Epson inkjet printers were a marvel of modern science to me. Having first owned and Epson ribbon printer and having a number of them where I worked at the time, it seemed only natural that we bought Epson inkjet printers to replace them. I was extremely happy with my Epson printers and until about 5 years ago, they were the only printers that I owned. The only issue I had with them at the time was how fast the cartridges ran out of ink because they were very small. I even tried as I'm sure many have done, to go the route of refilling my own cartridges to save on expense but quickly became dis-enchanted with that process.

Then about 6 years ago, HP started coming out with a series of photo quality printers that used a very "large cartridge" in comparison to the Epson cartridges. At last, as viable option! Well guess what, all good things really do usually come to an end and HP started changing to the smaller cartridges like everyone else as the higher quality printers were introduced.

Currently I have 4 working printers in my home, an Epson, two HP's, and a Canon. I think they are all great printers but they all have the same problem. They all print wonderful quality photos but they all run out of ink way too fast. Ever wonder why printers became so inexpensive? Because they don't make their money off the printers anymore, they all sell "ink"!

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: