Friday, October 27, 2006

Weight loss and diabetes update...

As I have written in earlier posts, I recently was diagnosed as being a borderline diabetic. My blood tests results cam in at a staggering 6.3%! 6.0% is considered diabetic. Ok, that's not staggering by any stretch of the imagination but I have to admit it scared the crap out of me. Even more than my vascular history due to my high cholesterol issues, this disease is a killer in it’s own right.

Living with diabetes is very manageable but the problem typically only worsens over time. It starts affecting various organs in your body in an often silent way and can cause irreversible harm if not caught an managed properly. So what do I do?

Well the first thing is to learn about the disease. I have found a wealth of information on the web about this affliction that I am now adding to my repertoire of health struggles. I also am working with my doctor on this issue and the obvious first step for me is to lose some weight. I’m not morbidly obese or anything but have an over grown stomach and can easily stand to lose 30 lbs. without probably even noticing. The doctor wants me lose 60!

I have lost about 20 lbs. over the last six weeks so far and will continue to try to lose about 3 lbs. a week until I reach that goal. I am hoping that I can avoid medications for treating my problem, especially where I am just over the line of being diabetic. Time will tell, but for now eating less and getting more exercise is on the menu!

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: