Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Wisdom against the pitfalls of online sales promotions

I love to learn things. It’s just something I like to do and the more I can learn the better. I occasionally will run into something I have difficultly grasping, but with a bit of due diligence and patience I can usually get it figured out. Since I haven’t yet earned a lot of money, I for the most part rely on information that I can find online for free or glean from the various internet marketing forums I hang around when time permits. My main thrust so far has been with Adsense and tools that will help me continue to grow that income. I have picked up a few tidbits along the way and I thought I would try to share a few with you. If you have been around the internet marketing circuit for even a short time, you know that every week there is going to be “another big launch” of something. They will sell you on it for weeks and get you all geared up for launch day, and the next thing you know, you own another piece of digital product that might or might not help you make money.

Tidbit #1 – All online marketers, and especially the really good ones, can sell you the proverbial “boat in the desert” if you let them. I consider myself a fairly well versed individual in the ploys of salesmen, but have fallen for a couple of “less than what was represented online purchases” because of my eagerness to get ahead of the curve. Don’t fall for the “he’s a guru and can be trusted” because it’s not always true. Check with the people in the forums before purchasing anything and you’ll probably be able to get some opinions from the group as to the “worth” of the product you want to purchase.

Tidbit #2 - Wait for at least a day or more before buying a product. Often these products are going to be able to be downloaded and you can get an opinion often from someone who did purchase right away. If it doesn’t feel right to you, it probably won’t be.

Tidbit #3 – If you do purchase something and it comes in the mail, don’t open it immediately. Once you do as with most software or digital products, you open it, you bought it. Leave alone for at least a day if you can to be sure it’s what you really wanted. Sometimes a restocking fee is much cheaper then that package is you bought that you really didn’t need after all (learned this one the hard way).

I will add some more to this in a later post but the same things that apply in the real world apply to online purchases as well. Buyer beware, don’t fall for the big sales pitches, and avoid “impulse buying” without the facts. There’s nothing worse than spending your hard earned dollars on another item to help you earn money, only to find out you could have gotten it free or didn’t really need it to grow your
business. To your success!

Technorati Tags: ,
,

No comments: